Senior Payload Electrical Engineer
LOCATION - Luxembourg
ispace Europe is seeking a highly motivated and talented Senior Payload Electrical Engineer to join its team and develop tomorrow’s lunar exploration technologies.
ispace is a Japanese company whose vision is to expand and sustain humanity’s presence in space by utilizing resources available on the Moon. The SORATO rover developed by Team HAKUTO, managed by ispace, won the Google Lunar XPRIZE mobility milestone award and is a finalist for the $20M Grand Prize.
ispace Europe is the company’s newest regional office located in Luxembourg, in the heart of Europe. With support from the Government of Luxembourg, we are designing ispace’s next rover missions that will prospect for lunar water and thereby set the first milestone toward lunar ISRU. We are a small team, motivated by the challenges of the Lunar Frontier, and determined to achieve the company’s vision.
The Senior Payload Electrical Engineer will be responsible for the instrument interface definition and development and for the instrument integration into the next generation rovers. The position requires strong capabilities from board- to system-level design. It is a unique opportunity to assemble one-of-a-kind instruments with cutting edge rovers to advance our understanding of the Moon. Because our team is lean we rely on every engineer to exhibit a cross-functional mindset, intellectual curiosity, willingness to bridge gaps, appreciation for process, and understanding of the system two levels up and two levels down. The candidate must be self-driven, continuously self-improving, and proud of her/his work.
More specifically, the Payload Electrical Engineer will:
- Own the development and integration of instrument electronics into the rover avionics.
- Coordinate configuration design studies between the instrument teams and rover team in Japan
- Assist in the selection of industry standards for implementing rover-payload electrical interfaces
- Develop requirements with flow downs to subsystem and component levels and associated verification methods
- Prepare electrical drawings, specifications, test plans, and simulations
- Identify and implement good technical solutions, that are cost-effective and easily procured
- Develop and test breadboard and prototype solutions
- Communicate with instrument teams, learn the ins and outs of their designs, act as the Cognizant Engineer for instruments
- Coach the ispace Europe engineering and business teams on anything electrical
- Travel occasionally to Japan and to vendor and instrument provider locations
- Hold BS with 10+ years of relevant experience or MS with 7+ years of relevant experience in computer engineering, electrical engineering, or equivalent
- Possess proven track record of developing electronics throughout product cycle from schematic to manufacturing
- Develop rapid prototypes, test, troubleshoot, repeat
- Exhibit sound judgment and deep understanding of system-level impact of design choices
- Be highly organized and capable of planning and executing complex technical work
- Thrive in multi-disciplinary environment in close cooperation with engineering and business teams
- Must have excellent interpersonal, organizational, and communication skills
- Show initiative, leadership, and positive can-do attitude
- Be comfortable with change and fast-pace environment
- Be knowledgeable of space environmental tests
- Has experience with the design and manufacturing of harnessing
- Has experience developing electronics with:
- Microcontrollers, microprocessors, FPGA’s
- Processor peripheral interfaces (USB, I2C, SPI, storage, high speed serial I/F’s, PCI-Express, MIPI, LVDS, SDI)
- Design for high speed Signal integrity and Class B EMC
- Sensors and integration into products
- Analog electrical design
- Strong working knowledge of best practices for PCB & FPC layout and fabrication